Sunday, August 9, 2009

Angry people at townhall meetings.

My politics run pretty middle of the road. I like to think I'm progressive, because I think there is a lot of room for reform in our government at all levels. My liberal friends cringe at my labeling myself progressive, because they think I'm conservative. I remind them that a conservative wants to preserve the status quo. I don't want to do that. I'd like to see most of our civil institutions turned on their ear. They call me libertarian in a tone they usually reserve for Baptist televangelists or, God forbid, George Bush republicans. I'm really not like that.

It's my own fault. I've called myself libertarian many times. Any caveats after that are lost in the shrill stuttering that indicates I wish people to starve in the streets or endorse a wild west code of justice. I'm afraid my Christian upbringing precludes callous disregard for the poor or vigilantism. I always try to show them how reasonable I can be, but I don't think it helps.

I do think both our political parties do us a disservice, as the current debate over health care demonstrates.

First, a confession. I voted for Barack Obama. I had hoped that he would solve problems in a deliberative, smart manner. I don't believe he has done that. Seems to me that by turning his promises over to Congress, he has just pushed politics as usual, and he said he wouldn't do that. So, I am dissappointed but not surprised. After all, he was/is a politician.

I'm not a fan of Obamacare because I think there are smarter ways to reform the system that don't require more government and that won't create perverse incentives and unhealthy, unforeseen consequences.

Back to the town hall meetings. I don't know if the people doing the protesting are spontaneous or organized. I don't think it matters, because either way, that is politics. It can be spontaneous or organized. What I do know is that seems to be quite uncivil. I think civility is important. I also think the correct information is important.

The inclusion of end of life counseling in the public option insurance plan does not mean euthanasia is on the recommended list for those with expensive illnesses. It just means taxpayers are going to spend money to help people with the issues that arise when you are on your deathbed. You can argue about the merits of whether such services should be required to be in a health insurance policy, but I don't think calling it a prescription for government sponsored euthanasia is meant to be anymore than a straw man to throw a match on and watch burn.

Unfortunately, the democrats should not be surprised their opponents employ such a tactic. The whole hurry up and get it passed quick before anyone has a chance to read it strategy kind of guarantees the opposition will be ugly. The democrats believe health care reform is critical but polls have shown that it doesn't seem to be a high priority with Americans, who also seem to be pretty happy with what they personally have. It is recognized there is a problem when folks die in emergency waiting rooms waiting to see a doctor, but there may be more practical solutions than forcing everyone without insurance to buy something congress prescribes.

If Obama had taken the lead, arriving at a well thought out plan with true reform built in, instead of letting congress draft a plan that does not do anything to control costs, maybe the process would have been smoother. Just saying...

No comments:

Post a Comment